Sunday, April 18, 2010

Eighteen Till I Die


Bryan Adams wrote a song entitled “Eighteen Till I Die" in which he says, “Someday I’m going to be 18 going on 55” Well I just experienced 18 going on 48. That’s a thirty year gap between fantasy and reality, between wishful thinking and delusional. Now days when I look in the mirror, I see someone strongly resembling my Dad.


Still there are those of us that WILL NOT surrender.

So what are my options? I figure I could have a mid life crises, but I haven’t seen that work out too great for most men. The hair plugs look painful and ridiculous. The Corvette costs too much. The gold medallion around the neck went out of style. And the Bimbo? Nah, that’s not for me.

So I’ve settled on some serious self improvement and goal setting instead. Something I probably should have done a long time ago. I’ve shed a few pounds. I’m eating better (Which translates into less). And I’ve set a few goals. (Feel free to cheer me on or set and share your own goals and I’ll cheer for you)

Here they are…

May 8th – Rina’s Run a local 10K in Ripon

May 15th – My annual go at the Pole Peddle Paddle in Bend OR. I do the paddling.

July 19 – Eppies Great Race, a no swim triathlon. (10k + 12 miles + 6 Miles in the Kayak)

Late July – The boys and I are working on a plan to Kayak from our house in Ripon to Jack London Square in Oakland, probably a three day trip. (Thank you Cheri for the new kayak)

So to celebrate my birthday I went for a long run, kayaked with the boys, played golf twice, went to the movies, and indulged in some pretty good pizza from Pizza Plus not to mention a quick stop over at the Canal Street Grill with a friend.

So I’m on my way to an action packed spring and summer.

Like Brian Adams says, “It’s not how you look, it’s how you feel inside… it sure feels good to be alive”. What are you going to do to BE ALIVE?

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that sounds like an incredible event filled calender. I will cheer you on. I plan on making the most of this spring and summer, knowing that Max (10 y.o. son) is going to be playing football which will consume the calender from July to the end of the year, especially the Saturdays. Hanging out with some of our younger friends on many occassions seems to help keep me very active. Thanks to Max.
    Good choice on skipping the midlife crisis, seen too many casualties.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aleisha (Mustafa) KruckMay 5, 2010 at 7:53 AM

    I am training for marathon that is on June 6! It is a crazy endeavour but the experience has been a great one for me. In September, a duathelon which is another first for me. Its really is amazing what can be done when we set our minds on a goal, train, train, train and accomplish it. I have already pushed myself beyond what I ever thought possible. It really does make you feel alive.

    ReplyDelete